A slow computer is a problem for everyone. In this article, you’ll find some simple tips to help keep your computer running fast and functional.
Keeping your Windows system healthy and fast is not a time-consuming process and is an easy task that even a novice user can do. To make this process easier, I have written the following tips to help you.
How to keep Windows fast and healthy.
TIP 1: DELETE UNUSED FILES.
Over time, when we work on our computer, junk files are created that stay on our computer and prevent it from running smoothly. Typically, these junk files are created while browsing the web (known as “Temporary Internet Files”), installing or uninstalling applications, or updating Windows.
These junk files fill up our hard drive space and slow down Windows. So, the first step to keeping your computer fast and healthy is to clean up junk files. To do this, you can use Windows’ built-in Disk Cleanup tool as follows:
1. In Windows Explorer, right-click and select “Local Disk (C:)”. Characteristics.
2. click on Disk cleanup button.
3. In the “Disk Cleanup” window, click Clean up system files.
4. Select the following files to delete and then click OK:
- Clean up Windows Update
- Windows Update log files.
- Downloaded program files.
- Temporary Internet files.
- Previous Windows installation.
- Recycling bin
- Temporary files
- Temporary Windows installation files.
ADVICE 2: Remove unnecessary startup programs.
Many installers add unnecessary programs to Windows startup. All these programs always run in the background and slow down our system. So always remove unnecessary programs from startup. For this:
inside Windows 10 OS:
1. click on CTRL + SHIFT + ESC buttons to open the task manager.
2. In the Task Manager window, select Start up Tab.
3. Now look at all the startup apps and turn off those who don’t want to run on startup. (eg skype, utorrent, etc.)
inside Windows 7 and Vista OS:
1. press Windows + R buttons to load Running dialog box.
2. Type msconfig and press Enter.
3. select Start up tab, and remove the mark unnecessary startup programs. Click when done OK and restart your personal computer.
ADVICE 3: DELETE ALL UNUSED APPS.
Remove all unnecessary programs from your computer. For this:
1. click on Win and R Press the keys simultaneously to open the RUN command window.
2. Type appwiz.cpl and press Enter.
3. Select the program you don’t like and press the button Delete click the button to remove it.
TIP 4: BACK UP YOUR DATA.
IMPORTANT: Backing up your data ensures that you don’t lose your files even if your computer is damaged. So from time to time back up all your personal data to a separate storage device,* such as an external portable USB hard drive and keep the backup drive separate from your computer in a safe place when not needed.
*Note: Alternatively, you can use a CLOUD storage service (eg Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive) to back up your data.
ADVICE 5: Don’t visit untrusted sites.
Stay away from sites that contain: pornographic or betting material, warez software and cracks. All of these sites exploit security holes in internet browsers and can harm your computer.
ADVICE 6. DO NOT INSTALL FREE ADD-ON APPS.
When you download and install applications from the Internet, Do not install additional applications offered in the installer (for example, a free toolbar, a free antivirus, etc.).
ADVICE 7. DO NOT open emails from unknown senders.
Do not open e-mails from unknown senders informing you that you have won a large amount of money or e-mails containing suspicious extensions such as: exe, .bat, .com, .vbs or .scr .pif, etc. .
ADVICE 8. RUN AND SCAN YOUR COMPUTER PERIODICALLY FOR VIRUSES.
Always install antivirus software on your computer and keep it up-to-date.*
* Note: If you don’t already have an antivirus program installed and don’t want to buy one, you can download and install one of the free reliable antivirus programs listed in this article.
ADVICE 9. PERIODICALLY LOAD YOUR COMPUTER WITH MALWAREBYTES.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware can detect and remove malware that even the most popular antivirus programs cannot detect or remove.
* Note: If you don’t know how to install and use Malwarebytes, read these instructions.
ADVICE 10. KEEP WINDOWS UPDATED REGULARLY.
Set your PC to automatically download and install Windows updates and to periodically manually check and install all available updates. For this:
1. go to Start -> Settings -> Update and security -> Windows update. *
*Note: In Windows 7, go to Control Panel -> Windows update.
2. click on it Check for updates click the button on the right panel and wait for the scan to finish. If updates are found, continue and installation they are
… and some painful tips:
ADVICE 11. ORGANIZE YOUR FILES.
Organize your files into folders and keep them organized. Also, delete unnecessary or duplicate archives. Another tip to speed up Windows boot time is to reduce the number of icons and files on the desktop.
TIP 12. STAY AWAY FROM DUST.
To prevent high temperatures and performance problems, clean your computer from time to time. The best way to do this is to use a powerful air blower. Also, make sure that the air flow is not obstructed. If you have a laptop, do not use it with cloth materials.
That’s it! Let me know if this guide helped you by leaving a comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.