Samsung has launched a beta program to give new uses to some older Galaxy phones. Owners of certain phones can download an update to turn the device into a smart home sensor with some neat features – it can detect the sound of a baby crying or turn on a lamp when it gets dark. The program is limited to certain models launched in 2018 or later, which is pretty limited, but it’s a nice, accessible offer that could help users get a little more out of their old devices. This article is about how to Use an Old Samsung Phone as a Smart Home Sensor.
The fascination with the latest smartphone technology has people buying newer models as soon as they are released. However, after buying their new phone, they stick with the old one. While most of us give away our old phones to family or friends who don’t care about the latest and greatest models, only a few are worn out. Or let it rot in a drawer. That’s a shameful waste of resources.
How to Use an Old Samsung Phone as a Smart Home Sensor with SmartThings
- Open SmartThings.
- Tap on the hamburger menu on the left.
- Tap Smart Apps.
- Tap the three dots to the right of SmartApps.
- Tap SmartThings Labs.
- Tap Galaxy Upcycle.
- Tap Next.
- This will bring up a QR code that you need to scan with your old Samsung smartphone.
- Scan the QR code shown in the previous step with the phone you want to convert.
- You will be redirected to the Galaxy App Store where you can download and install the Galaxy Upcycle app. Tap Install.
- Then the Upcycle app was launched.
- Tap Home.
- Select the type of sensor you want to set up, then tap Next.
- On the Upcycle Disclaimer, tap Next. But, you know, read it completely first.
- Choose a location and room where the sensor can be placed.
- Tap Next.
- Tap Next again.
- After a minute you will see that the sensor is running. If you have selected the sound sensor, it will sound an alarm when it hears a sound and especially when it detects an event for which it is programmed. If you have a light sensor set up, this will show you the brightness lux in the room.
So here we conclude our article on how Samsung Phone As Smart Home Sensor with SmartThings. If you want to know how to Samsung smartphone As a Smart Home Sensor then follow the steps mentioned above.
I hope you understand this article, How to Use an Old Samsung Phone as a Smart Home Sensor.