If you want to share your printer to multiple computers in Windows 11, continue reading below. Connecting a printer to multiple computers on the same network gives you the advantage of printing to the same printer from all computers on the network.
In Windows 11, as in Windows 10, you can share a printer connected to your computer (for example, via a USB cable)* so that you can print from other computers on the network.
*Note: If you have a network printer, you don’t need to share it on a computer, because you can connect to the printer directly from other computers.
How to connect a printer to multiple computers in Windows 11.
Important: Before doing the following, check the following:
1. The printer driver is installed and the printer can print on the host computer (the computer it is connected to).
2. Also, make sure ALL computers are connected to the same network or router.
Step 1. Share the printer on the host computer.
1. click on Windows + I keys to run Settings.
2. Choose Bluetooth and devices on the left and then press Printers and scanners on the right.
3. Identify the printer you want to share, then select it.
4. Choose Printer features from the available option.
5. Yes Sharing tab, select Change the sharing settings.
6. In the printer sharing options:
a. Check the box next to it Share this printer.
b. write a Share name Other computers see when trying to connect to the printer. *
c. Click when done apply, after OK.
*Note: I offer you this use a single word as a share name (remove the space between the printer name). This eliminates the conflict when other computers want to connect to the printer. From the image below, you will see that the share name in our example is “HPDeskjet5679”. (Spaces between HP, Deskjet and 5679 are deleted).
7. Voila! You have successfully configured the printer to share with other computers on your network. Then, go to step 2 to add/install the shared printer to other computers on your network.
Step 2. How to connect to a shared printer in Windows 11
Requirements: Before proceeding with adding the printer to the secondary computer(s), you should know the following:
1. The shared printer name that you entered in step 1 above.
2. Name of host computer (aka “Computer” name). *
*Note: To find out the name of the host computer (the computer with which the printer is shared):
a. Type msinfo Click on the search field and open it System information.
b. find the system name, To know the computer name.
To connect/mount a shared printer in Windows 11:
1. Make sure that the shared printer and the host computer with the printer are enabled.
2. click on Windows + I keys to run Settings.
3. Choose Bluetooth and devices on the left and then press Printers and scanners on the right.
4. press Add a device (next to Add a printer or scanner)
5. Wait a few seconds and when you see the message “The printer I want is not in the list”, click the button. Add manually button.
6. In the “Find a printer by other options” window:
a. Choose Select a shared printer by name after that…
b. Type host name and common printer name in one of the following formats: *
- \\ computer name \ printer name
For example, in this example, the Computer Name is “WINTIPS” and the Shared Printer Name is “HPDeskjet5679”. So I have to write:
c. Click when done The next one. *
Note: To access the shared printer, you will be required to enter the host computer’s username and password.
That’s it! Let me know if this guide helped you by leaving a comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.