Windows 10 will be available at the end of June 2015. The new operating system includes several new features such as Cortana (intelligent personal assistant), new Start menu, Xbox app and streaming, universal apps. various devices etc. If you want to try out the new operating system, you can join the Windows Insider program and download a copy of Windows 10 ISO to install it on your PC or virtual machine.
In this guide, you can find detailed instructions on how to install Windows 10 in Oracle’s VM VirtualBox to test the new operating system without affecting your operating system.
How to install Windows 10 (Insider Preview) on a virtual machine using Oracle’s VM VirtualBox.
To install Windows 10 you will need:
1. System Requirements:
Processor: 1 GHz or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2*
RAM: At least 1 GB (Gigabyte), but I suggest 2 GB.
Hard disk space: At least 16 GB of free space, but I suggest 20 GB.
Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
* Note: Your processor must also support these features to install Windows 10: Virtualization technology & Equipment DEP. (Data Execution Prevention). Download and run it to make sure your system’s processor supports the above security features Safe instrument
(If hardware virtualization technology and Data Execution Prevention (DEP) are supported by your system, you should see the following window on your screen)
(If hardware virtualization technology and data execution prevention (DEP) are not supported, you should see the following window) **
** Note: In this case Hardware virtualization technology and Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is not supported, make sure these features are enabled in the BIOS settings.*
2. Software / Media Requirements:
1. You must have already installed Oracle VM VirtualBox For Windows hosts. If it is not installed, you can download and install the latest version (for example, “VirtualBox 4.3.28 for Windows hosts“) from Here.
2. Finally, you need an official copy Windows 10 preview adjustment; installation ISO image and required product key. You can get them from Here.
If you meet all the above requirements, proceed to step 1 to create a new virtual machine inside VirtualBox to install Windows 10.
Step 1. Create a new VM machine to install Windows 10 inside VirtualBox.
1. Start Oracle VM VirtualBox and at the following address new.
2. “at”Name and operating system” box:
1. Enter a new machine name (eg “Windows10_Review“)
2. At type choose “Microsoft Windows“
3. At version choose Windows 8.1 (64 bit).
3. After making the above selections, click The next one.
4. Specify the amount of memory (RAM)* allocated to the virtual machine and click The next one.
* (eg at least 2048MB/2GB).
5. Then proceed to create a Virtual Hard Drive for your machine. selectCreate a virtual hard disk now’ option and press To create.
6. Select ‘ for Hard disk file typeVDI (Virtual Disk Image)’ and press The next one.
7. select storage type* you want (“Dynamically distributed“or”Fixed size“) and press The next one.
* Information: “Dynamically allocated”: storage capacity means it only uses the space it needs from your physical drive and grows automatically as your files grow.
“Returned Size”: storage capacity is fixed and cannot grow if more space is needed in the future.
(In this tutorial I chose “Fixed size“)
8a. Enter a file name and specify a storage location for your new virtual hard disk (or you can leave the default values).
8b. Then specify the size for the virtual disk. At least 16 GB. (eg 50 GB).
8c. Select when done To create.
(The process of creating a virtual hard disk will begin. Wait for it to finish …)
9. When the virtual disk creation is complete, you should return to the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager main window. Select and select the newly created Virtual Machine there Settings.
10. In the settings window, select “System” on the left.
11. Click the button in system settings Processor tab and specify the number of CPUs allocated to the new virtual machine. (eg 2 or more) and check the box at the bottom Enable PAE/NX feature.
12. In the settings window, select “Save” on the left.
13. Click the button under the save tree to add “+ ” icon to add the Windows 10 installation ISO image.
14. “at”VirtualBox – Question“, select Select the disk To install the Windows 10 Setup ISO image you downloaded.
15. Find and select the downloaded ISO image file to install Windows 10 and select it It’s open.
16. Choose OK To close the VirtualBox settings window.
17. Finally click start, To start installing Windows 10 (step 2).
Step 2: Install Windows 10 Insider Preview.
1. On the first installation screen of Windows 10, choose your preferred language, time and currency, and keyboard input, and click “The next one“.
2. Select on the next screen Install now.
3. Accept license agreement and press The next one.
4. Choose Custom: Install Windows only (advanced).
5. select Unallocated space and press The next one.
6. Windows 10 setup is starting. Wait until it finishes.
7. After the installation process is complete, the virtual machine will restart and offer to personalize your computer. Select if you want to create your own custom settings Adjust the settingsotherwise select Use express settings continue.
8. Then find out who owns this computer. If the PC is personal, select “This device belongs to me” option and press The next one.
9. “inMake it yours” on the screen, if you want – enter the email address and password of your Microsoft account and click “Sign in” * or “Skip this step” option if you want to use Windows 10 with a local account. **
* A Microsoft account is – mostly – required to download apps from the Windows Store.
** In this guide, I chose to log in with a local account.
10. In the next window, enter the required username and password and click on it The next one.
11. Wait until Windows Personalization is finished.
12. Windows 10 operating system is now installed. One final decision: If your PC belongs to a home or work network, click the button Yes Button to find other PCs and devices on it.
After completing the installation of Windows 10, in order to use all the features of your new operating system (full screen, resolution, etc.), you need to do one more thing: you need to install. VirtualBox Guest Additions. (Step 3).
Step 3: Install the VirtualBox guest add-ons.
1. To install “Guest Additions” On a Windows 10 host, go to the Oracle VM VirtualBox main menu and select: Devices > Install the Guest Add-ons CD image.
2. Then open Windows Explorer and click on it This is a computer tab on the left.
3. Right-click in the right pane ‘VirtualBox Guest Additions CD Drive X:\‘ and select from the menu Install or run the program from the media.
4. In the Warning (User Account Management) window, select “Yes“.
5. Choose The next one on the next two (2) screens.
6. Then choose Installation.
7. check the Always trust the software “Oracle Corporation“ check box and click Installation.
8. After the installation is complete, select Termination To restart Windows.
After the reboot, you can enjoy all the new features of Windows 10!