On a customer’s computer, when a user tries to open links in email messages using Outlook 2007, the following error appears: “This operation was canceled due to restrictions on this computer. Please contact your system administrator“. The user was already an administrator of his computer and the above error occurred after installing the Opera web browser on his computer.
Usually, the “Operation canceled due to restrictions” Outlook error means that the appropriate registry settings (keys) used to perform standard actions for opening hyperlinks are configured incorrectly.
The solution below contains step-by-step instructions on how to solve the “.This operation was canceled due to restrictions on this computer. Please contact your system administrator” error when you try to open hyperlinks in Outlook 2007 email. The solution was applied on a Windows 7 based computer and worked successfully.
How to resolve “The operation was canceled due to restrictions…” error in Outlook.
Step 1. Change the registry subkeys for HTML files.
1. Open Windows Registry editor. For this:
1. Press “Windows” + “RClick the ” button to download Running dialog box.
2. “Write”regedit” and click Enter.
2. Go inside the Windows registry (from the left panel) and highlight this key:
3. In the right panel, double-click and “Standard” line.
4. In the Value data field, delete other values, type “.html file” menu and press OK.
5. Make the same change to the following registry subkeys: .htm, .shtml, .xhtml.
6. Close the Registry Editor and try opening the hyperlink in Outlook now.
You are done!