The following error occurs when running sysprep on a Windows 8.1-based computer: “sysprep could not verify your Windows installation“. The above error occurs because sysprep fails to run on an updated Windows installation.
For example, if you have already downloaded applications on the Windows 8.1 or 10 machine you want to run the sysprep command on, sysprepact log file (setupact.log) generated under C:\Windows\System32\sysprep\Panther folder shows the following error(s):
“[0x0f0036] SYSPRP spopk.dll:: Sysprep does not work on an updated operating system. You can only run Sysprep on a custom (clean) installation version of Windows.
[0x0f0082] SYSPRP ActionPlatform::LaunchModule: Error executing ‘Sysprep_Clean_Validate_Opk’ from C:\Windows\System32\spopk.dll; dwRet = 0x139f
SYSPRP SysprepSession::Validate: Error validating actions from C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\ActionFiles\Cleanup.xml; dwRet = 0x139f
SYSPRP RunPlatformActions: Failed to check SysprepSession actions; dwRet = 0x139f
[0x0f0070] SYSPRP RunExternalDlls: Error starting registry sysprep DLLs and stopped sysprep execution. dwRet = 0x139f
[0x0f00d8] SYSPRP WinMain: Error prechecking sysprep cleanup internal providers; clock = 0x8007139f]”
to fix”Sysprep could not verify your Windows installationIf you receive an error when trying to run sysprep on an upgraded Windows 8, 8.1, or Windows 10 machine, follow these steps:
How to fix “Sysprep could not verify your Windows installation” error (Windows 10, 8.1, 8)
Step 1: Remove the “UPGRADE” key from the Windows registry.
1. Open Windows Registry editor. For this:
- Click on “Windows” + “RClick the ” button to download Running dialog box.
- write “regedit” and click Enter.
2. Inside the Windows registry (from the left pane), navigate to this key:
3. DELETE in the right pane Update the key.
4. Click YES in the warning window.
5. Close the registry editor and restart your computer.
6. Now run SYSPREP again. Sysprep should be running successfully now and without issue.
- Note: Always run the “SYSPREP” command as Administrator and uninstall any security software before running the command.