Today, one of my customers reported that he could not print to a network printer with the following error: “Windows cannot connect to the printer. The operation failed with error 0x00000006. At first I tried restarting Windows and restarting the spooler service. I then tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer drivers. In this test, the computer sees and connects to the shared printer normally (installs the drivers without problems), but when the user tries to print from any application, he gets the same error from Windows: Printing oThe operation failed with error 0x00000006.
I finally found the following solution to solve the “0x00000006” printer problem:
How to fix error 0x00000006 error while printing.
Step 1. Uninstall the current printer driver.
This step is optional. If you have previously installed, uninstall the network printer drivers that you cannot connect to.
1. To do this, go to:
- Windows 7 and Vista: Start > Control Panel.
- Windows XP: Start > Settings > Control Panel
- Click on “Windows” + “RClick the ” button to download Running dialog box.
- write “control Panel” and press Enter.
2. Double click to open Devices and printers.
3. Right-click and select the (problem) network printer Remove the device.
Step 2. Add the network printer locally.
1. In the Devices and Printers window, select Add a printer.
2. In Add a printer window, select Add a local printer.
3. Select in the next window Create a new port and make sure the port type Local port. Then choose The next one.
4. In the pop-up window, enter the network path and the name of the network printer as the port name in the following format, and then click . OK:
Where: Computer namethe name of the workstation to which the printer is connected and Printer name is the generic name of the printer.
For example, if the computer name is “Station 1″ and the common name of the printer is “HPJ6400″ then you should write “\\ Station 1 \ HPJ6400“.
5. Continue to install the printer drivers. *
*Note: If you still get the error “Windows cannot connect to the printer. The operation failed with error 0x00000006” when you want to add a network printer, follow the instructions in step 3 before adding the printer.
6. When finished, try to print on the printer.
You should now be able to print without issue, but if you still encounter the same printer problem (error 0x00000006), follow the instructions in step 3 below.
Step 3. Delete invalid registry keys.
This step is optional. Just follow the instructions on it, unless you encounter errors when trying to print.
Open the registry editor. For this:
1. At the same time “Win” + “RClick the ” button to download Running dialog box.
2. Type regedit and press Enter To open the registry editor.
IMPORTANT: Before proceeding, make a backup copy of the registry. For this:
- From the main menu, go to File & select Export.
- Specify the destination (for example, your Work table), give the exported log file a file name (for example, “RegistryUntouched”), select Export range: All and press Save.
3. After you have created a registry backup, go to (from the left pane) this key:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers
4. Right click under the Providers button and select “Client-side print providers“key.
5. Restart your computer and try printing to the printer.
You are done!