The Windows 10 update process usually runs smoothly, but sometimes there can be problems. This is especially true when it comes to printing. Windows 10 version 1809, released in October 2018, was notorious for introducing printing issues. The reason why 1809 and later versions of Windows 10 sometimes cause printing issues is because Microsoft started leaving basic printer drivers from the major updates to reduce the size of the updates.
This article is about how to Fix a Printer that is not working after Windows Update. This is not to say that Microsoft no longer provides basic print drivers, but that the basic print drivers are not available by default. Windows 10 still allows you to install basic print drivers. When you do, Windows downloads the requested driver from Windows Update. Below we have mentioned the steps to Fix Printer not working after Windows Update.
How to fix a Printer that is not working after Windows Update
Power cycle your printer
Turning off the device is often an effective way to fix mysterious malfunctions with various devices. So, you can try it to see if the problem is fixed for you. Here you can find out how to turn your printer off and on again:
- Turn off the printer and unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
- Wait for 30 seconds.
- Reconnect the printer and turn it on again.
- Test to see if your printer is working properly. If it does, that’s great!
Make sure your printer is connected
- If your printer is not connected properly, it probably won’t work. So make sure it is connected properly.
- Once you have confirmed the connection, check if the print problem is resolved. If so, you have solved the problem.
Reset the print spooler
A print spooler in Windows is a software program that manages the print jobs sent to the printer. If your printer suddenly stops working, you can reset the spooler service to see if the problem is resolved. Here’s how to do it:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time, then type services.msc and press Enter.
- In the Services window, scroll down until you find Print Spooler, right-click it, and then click Stop.
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time, then type %WINDIR%system32spoolprinters and press Enter.
- Select all the files in the folder and delete them. This will delete the print queues.
- Go back to the Services window, find Print Spooler and double-click it.
- Click Start, then select Automatic under Startup Type and click OK to save the changes.
- Verify that your printer is working properly.
Windows Update provides the latest features and security updates for your computer. However, sometimes the updates do not go as expected. One such problem is that the printer stops working after a Windows update. This problem may occur because your printer driver file is not compatible with the latest version of Windows. Moreover, this can also happen due to an error affecting the printer. Hopefully you have solved the problem that the printer stopped working after Windows 10 update. Thanks for reading!
I hope you understand this article, How to fix a Printer that is not working after Windows Update.