In this guide, you will find instructions on how to find and remove duplicate files in Windows. Regardless of the device we use, we often manage many files and folders. It’s no secret that over time (perhaps months or years) our phones and computers accumulate duplicate data, It not only takes up space but also slows down our devices.
The best thing you can do in this scenario is to find the duplicate files and delete them or transfer them to another device as a backup. But first, where and how to find duplicate files? In this guide, we will show you different ways to find duplicate files in Windows.
How to Find and Remove Duplicate Files in Windows
Method 1. Manually find and delete duplicate files using File Explorer.
Windows does not offer an easy way to find and remove duplicate files, as the only way to do this task is to manually search for or find duplicate files in File Explorer using one of the following methods:
Method 1. Find duplicate files using the details view.
1. Change the Appearance for Details.
2. Click the “Name” column to sort files by name.
3. Find and delete duplicate files using the details. (Size, date created or modified, etc.).
Way 2. Find duplicate files using the browse panel.
Open two separate File Explorer windows for the folders where you want to find duplicate files.
From whom Appearance activate the tabReview panel” in both windows.
3. Open the files individually in each window and compare their contents in the Preview pane.
Method 3. Using the search function to find duplicate files.
If you already have prior knowledge of the files, the search bar in File Explorer can find the files for you in no time.
- Just launch File Explorer and navigate to it This is a computer.
- Now enter any details of your target file and click Enter. (For example: if you are looking for duplicates of a PDF file, you can search for “.pdf”).
- Then change the Appearance for Details and sorting results by Name to find duplicate files.
Method 2. Find and remove duplicate files using free search programs.
The second and easier way to find duplicate files in Windows is to install Duplicate Finder, which makes the job easier.
Below are some FREE Duplicate Finder programs that can help you easily find and delete duplicate files on your computer.
CCleaner is one of the most popular tools because it not only helps you clean your computer of unnecessary programs, but also offers a duplicate file search tool to easily find and delete duplicate files in Windows.
1. Go to the official page of CCleaner and install it Free Version.
2. Open and select the program after installation Tools from the left panel. Then choose Duplicate finder.
3. Now select the drive (or drives) you want to search for duplicate files (or click the button. Add button to add a specific location) and click to search to start scanning. *
*Note: You can also filter searches by checking/unchecking the options in the right pane.
4. After scanning Finally, select the files you want to delete and click on it Delete selected Click the button to continue.
GLARY DUPLICATE CLEANING
Glary Duplicate Cleaner is another free duplicate finder software that lets you easily find and remove duplicates on Windows.
1. Download and install Glary Duplicate Cleaner.
2. Run the program and choose where to search for duplicates (disks or folders) and Options to configure the search. Click when done Scanning.
3. When the scan is complete, select the duplicate files and remove them.
AUSLOGICS DUPLICATE FILE ARRANGEMENT
Another handy tool to use to find and delete duplicate files in Windows is Auslogics Duplicate File Finder.
1. Download and install Auslogics Duplicate File Finder. *
*Note: Avoid installing other programs suggested by the installer during installation.
2. After installation, open the program, select where to search for duplicate files, select which file types to search for, and click on it. to search.
3. When the scan is complete, select Delete duplicate files found.
A final note: In addition to the free duplicate file finders above, you can try: DupeKill, Duplicate Cleaner Pro, DoubleKiller.
That’s it! Let me know if this guide helped you by leaving a comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.