In this guide, you will learn how to convert a user mailbox (aka “Normal mailbox”) to a Public mailbox or a Public mailbox to a User mailbox in Office365. One of the most useful features of Office 365 is the ability to create shared mailboxes. A shared mailbox can be accessed by many users and, unlike a user mailbox, does not require a license.
Microsoft 365 (formerly known as “Office365”) gives you the option to convert a regular mailbox to a shared mailbox or convert a shared mailbox to a regular mailbox to meet your needs.
*Note: The steps required to create a new public mailbox can be found in this article:
How to convert a user mailbox to a public mailbox in Microsoft 365.
Converting a regular mailbox to a shared mailbox is usually required when an employee leaves the company in order to keep in touch with clients who sent e-mail messages to the former employee’s address. To change a regular mailbox to a shared mailbox:
1. Introduction Go to the Office 365 admin center and go Users > Active users.
2. select the user mailbox you want to convert to a shared mailbox.
3. Yes Mail options, select Convert to a shared mailbox. *
*Note: If the option to convert to a shared mailbox is not available, go ahead and assign a license to the mailbox as it is required for the conversion. (you can remove the license after conversion).
4. press Conversion.
5. Click when the mailbox is rotated Done.
6. Finally, from the main page of the Office 365 admin center, go to Groups > General mailboxes. Select the new public mailbox and click on it Editing under Members and Add users who have access to a shared mailbox.
How to convert a shared mailbox to a regular mailbox.
*Note: Please note that regular mailboxes require a license to operate. So, after the conversion, go ahead and assign the license. To change a public mailbox to a user mailbox:
1. In the Office 365 admin center, click Show all and then press Exchange.
2. In the Exchange Control Center, go to receivers > together.
3. Choose the General mailbox User wants to convert to mailbox.
4. press Conversion under Convert to a regular mailbox.
5. Click on the warning message OK continue. *
*Note: After the conversion, do not forget to assign a license to the user mailbox so that it works.
6. Once the conversion is complete, click on it Shut down.
7. Now go here from the Office 365 admin center Users > Active users.
8. Select the new user mailbox and then click Licenses and Applications.
9. Finally, license assignment and press Save the changes.
That’s it! Let me know if this guide helped you by leaving a comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.