Maybe you’ve taken a video with your cell phone or camcorder, and when you try to play it on your computer, you find that it’s rotated 90 degrees. This error occurs because most mobile phones do not understand the direction.
Once you’ve got your video back, you can use two free programs to convert and save the video to your desired orientation: VLC media player and Windows Live Movie Maker. This guide will guide you on how to use VLC Media Player to convert and save your videos.
* Click here to watch a detailed video on how to convert and save video using VLC media player (Ver 2.0.2).
Note – Update: The method below works very well with VLC Media Player Ver 2.0.2. If you want to use the latest VLC Media Player (Ver. 2.1.2) to convert your videos, go to this link: How to Convert a Video Using VLC Media Player Ver. 2.1.2
1. First download and install VLC Media Player from here: http://www.videolan.org/
For Windows 32 bit: http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/2.0.2/win32/vlc-2.0.2-win32.exe
For Windows 64 bit: http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/2.0.2/win64/vlc-2.0.2-win64.exe
2. Then select your converted video from your computer and “right click” to open it with VLC Media Player
3. In the main menu of VLC Media Player, go to “Tools” > “Effects and filters“
4. “at”Fixes and effectsselect “window.”Video effects“tab
5. “at”Video effects“tab, select”Geometry“
6. “at”Geometry“click”Change“to enable transformation” box and “Turn to 90 degree” setting is selected below. Then select “Shut down” to close the window. Note*: The Rotate 90 degree setting rotates your video 90 degrees clockwise. If you want to rotate the video to a different angle, select the appropriate angle.
Now you can view and play your converted video in VLC media player (only) in correct angle. 7. If you want to save your last converted video, from the main menu select “Tools” > “Advantages“
8. In Interface settings look at the bottom left and “Show all settings“
9. in the left panel under “Flow output“expand”South current“>”Transcodeunder “and in the right panel”.Video filterselect “Video transform filter“. Then press the ” buttonSave” to save the settings.
10. From the main menu, selectMedia” > “Convert / Save“
11. At”Change/Save“options”File“tab, select”Add…” to add your recently converted video file, then click the drop-down arrow to the right of the “Convert/Save” button “Conversion“
12. In the “Change” options, select “.Review“, select a destination folder (for example “Desktop”), give a file name for the rotated file (for example “IMG_1822Rotated”) and specify the output video file type (for example “.MOV”)
13. In the “Convert” settings, select your profile output: “Video – H.264 + MP3 (MP4)” and then click “ToolsTo edit the selected profile, click the button on the right.
14. In profile settings, find and clickAudio codec“tab
15. In the “Audio codec” settings, use the drop-down arrow in the codec row and select “” from the list of codecs.MP3“. Then click Save.
16. In the “Convert” window “Start” to start the conversion.
17.When the “Conversion/Streaming” process is done, you will see the following screen.
18. After the “Conversion/Streaming” process is complete, you can play your video in any media player of your choice.
Attention: After converting and saving your videos, you need to reset VLC player to its default settings: “Tools” > “AdvantagesClick the “and” buttonRestore settings” button at the bottom of the parameters window.
How to Convert and Save Video Using VLC Media Player (Video Tutorial)