Geek with Style is a Toronto lifestyle blog for geeks celebrating the unique and quirky interests of the city’s residents since 2006. Whether it was classic art, fashion trends, or comic book conventions, Geek with Style was there to document it all. Join us as we explore the world of Toronto geek culture and revelation some of its hidden gems.
Interesting facts about Toronto
- The first Subway restaurant in Canada opened in 1954 in Toronto.
- The Toronto Zoo is the largest zoo in Canada and one of the largest in the world.
- Toronto is home to the tallest free-standing structure in the world, the CN Tower.
- The city has over 8,000 acres of parkland, making it one of the greenest cities in North America.
- Toronto has over 2,700 restaurants representing cuisines from around the world.
- Toronto is home to Canada’s oldest Chinatown and Little Italy.
- The city has a rich art and culture scene, with more than 80 museums and galleries.
- Toronto is one of the most multicultural cities in the world, with more than half of its residents born outside of Canada.
- The Distillery District is the largest collection of Victorian industrial architecture in North America
The Best Geeky Instagram Accounts
There are a ton of amazing Instagram accounts out there, but these are some of our favorites.
Geeky_Posters: This account is all about cool and interesting posters. They have everything from Doctor Who to Game of Thrones to Star Wars.
Geeky_Knitting: For the knitting geeks out there. This account has some really creative and sophisticated designs.
Geeky_Tattoos: Show off your geeky pride with some awesome geeky tattoos. This account has some amazing designs.
Geeky_Nails: For geeks who love nail art. This account has some really creative and stylish designs.
Best Geeky Spots in Toronto
There’s no shortage of things to do in Toronto, especially if you’re a geek. Check out some of the city’s best places for geeks below.
- The Toronto Reference Library is a great destination for geeks of all kinds. With an extensive collection of books, magazines and other resources, it is perfect for research or just browsing.
- The Royal Ontario Museum is another great option for geeks who love learning. With exhibits on natural history, world cultures and more, there is something for everyone at the ROM.
- For gamers, the Toronto Game Society offers regular meetings and events. It’s a great way to meet other local gamers and get your gaming culture fix.
- Comic Book Lounge & Gallery is perfect for comic book fans. In addition to being a great place to buy comics, they also host regular events like book signings and artist meetups.
- If you’re into anime, Manga Café is the place for you. They have a large selection of manga books available to read and they also offer free Wi-Fi so you can watch your favorite shows online there.
Best Books for Geeks
There are so many great books for geeks out there, it’s hard to know where to start. Here are just a few of our favorites:
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams: A powerful geek book, this hilarious tale follows the misadventures of Arthur Dent as he tries to make sense of the strange universe he finds himself in.
The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien: Another classic geek book, this epic fantasy story is sure to draw you into another world.
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline: A modern geek classic, this novel is set in a virtual world and is full of 80s pop culture references.
Neuromancer by William Gibson: This iconic cyberpunk novel introduced the world to The Matrix and influenced countless other works of science fiction.
Snowfall by Neal Stevenson: Another great cyberpunk novel, this one features a virtual reality world that’s even more immersive and twisted than the real world.
Geek Entertainment Series in Toronto
There are many geek entertainment series in Toronto that will make your nerd heart sing. From shows about video games and comics to movies and television, there’s something for every kind of geek.
If you’re a fan of video games, you’ll want to check out the Toronto Video Summit. The event is a two-day convention that celebrates all things gaming. You can play new and upcoming games, meet industry experts and participate in panels about your favorite games.
For comic book fans, the Toronto Comic Art Festival is a must-see event. This annual festival celebrates more than 700 artists through comics. You can buy comics, meet your favorite creators, and attend workshops on making your own comics.
Film buffs will want to check out TIFF, the Toronto International Film Festival. This world famous festival presents the best films of international cinema. You can see films from around the world, meet the filmmakers and participate in Q&A sessions with the cast and crew.
TV enthusiasts will find plenty to enjoy at Fan Expo Canada. This massive convention is devoted to all things pop culture with a special focus on television. You can meet your favorite TV stars, get autographs and watch exclusive discussions about your favorite shows.