If Windows 11 search is not working and returns no results, continue below to resolve the issue.
Windows 11’s search feature has been a major problem for customers ever since Windows 11 was released to the public. For example, many users complain that the search does not work showing no or incomplete results or working in some folders and not others. In addition to these problems, other users have reported that the search is not responding or that they cannot type anything into the search bar.
In this article, we have described different ways to solve search problems in Windows 11 with detailed steps when searching in taskbar or File Explorer.
How to fix search problems in Windows 11 *
* Important: If you encounter a search problem after installing Windows updates, restore your system to a previous operating state or uninstall the latest update(s) to resolve the issue.
- Update Windows.
- Change your search settings.
- Run the Search Troubleshooter.
- Restart the search service.
- Repair Windows system files.
- Rebuilding the search index.
- Restore the Cortana app.
- Reinstall Windows 11.
Method 1. Windows update.
The first way to solve search problems in Windows 11 is to install all available updates. Especially if you are here Windows 11 Insider program, Download the latest beta version of Windowsbecause it solves search problems.
Open to install the latest updates for Windows 11 Settings > Update and security and at Windows update click options Check for updates.
Method 2. Change search parameters.
The second way to solve the “Search is not working” problem is to change the Windows 11 search parameters.
Step 1. Change the search address.
1. go to Settings > Privacy and security.
2. Open in “Windows permissions” settings Windows Search.
3. In the “Find my files” section, select Developed Force Windows to search your entire PC and then close this window.
Step 2. Enable “File Contents” search.
1. Open File Explorer, click on the search bar, or type something and then enter Search options choose File contents.
2. Now search for the file or document and check if the search works.
Method 3. Fix Windows 11 search not working with the Search Troubleshooter.
The Windows Search Troubleshooter is a repair tool in Windows 10/11 that helps you quickly fix problems while searching.
1. go to Settings > System > Troubleshooting. (or press the button Windows + R Press the keys to open the “Run” command window, type ms-settings: troubleshooting and beat Enter.
2. Choose Other troubleshooting tools continue.
3. Scroll down until you find it Searching and indexing, then press Running button.
4. The troubleshooter will present you with a list of five (5) options. Select the one that best describes the problem on your computer and click on it The next one.
5. The Search and Indexing Troubleshooter will try to find and fix the problem. When it’s done, check if the search is working again.
Method 4. Restart the Windows search service.
Another method that sometimes solves search problems in Windows 11/10 is to restart the Windows Search service.
1. click on Windows + R Buttons to open the “Run” command window.
2. Type services.msc and press Enter.
3. Scroll down and find the location Windows Search then service right click click and select Restart.
4. Now check if the Windows search function is working and if the problem persists, proceed to the next method.
Method 5. Scan and repair Windows system files.
System File Checker is a command-line tool for scanning and repairing corrupt or missing system files in Windows and can solve many problems.
1. Open command prompt as administrator.
1. Enter the following in the search field: cmd or command line
2. right click on it command line (result) and select Run as administrator.
2. In the command prompt window, type the following command and click Enter:
- Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth
3. Please be patient while DISM fixes the component store. After the operation is complete, (you should be notified that the corruption in the component store has been fixed), give this command and press the button. Enter:
4. Once the SFC scan is complete, restart check your computer and everything is working properly.
Method 6. Fix Windows 11 search problems by rebuilding the search index.
If Windows 11 search does not return any results or returns incomplete results, you can try to fix the problem by rebuilding the search index. Follow these steps to rebuild the search index.
1. click on Windows + R Buttons to open the “Run” command window.
2. Type control.exe srcadmin.dll and press Enter To open indexing options.
3. Click “Indexing Options”. Complicated.
4. press Reconstruction.
5. A dialog prompts you to continue rebuilding the index, click on it OK.
6. After the index rebuild is complete, check if the search is working.
Method 7. Restore and repair the Cortana application.
If you’re having trouble searching in Windows 11, try repairing and reinstalling the Cortana app as shown below:
1. go to Settings > Applications and choose Applications and features.
2. Click on the 3 vertical dots next to it Cortana and select Advanced options.
3. click on Reinstall Button to clear Cortana data. When done, try searching. If the problem persists, try again Repair Cortana app too.
Method 8. Reinstall Windows 11 (Reset this PC).
If the search problem persists after using all the methods mentioned above, reinstalling Windows using the “Reset your PC” option may solve the problem. If you want to try this solution, you don’t have to worry about your files because you can choose to keep them. (However, all programs you have installed will be removed). *
* Offer: Before you reset your PC, go to the Windows 11 download website and download and run the Windows 11 Setup Assistant to make sure you’re running the latest version of Windows. If not, let the assistant install the latest version of Windows 11 and see if that fixes the search issues.
To reset your PC (reinstall Windows 11):
1. go to Settings > System > Recovery.
2. Choose Restore the computer from Recovery options.
3. Select when prompted Save my files to reset the computer without losing files. *
*Note: This is an option saves your files but will remove your device settings and any software (apps) you have installed.
4. On the next screen, you’ll see a summary of what happens when you reset your computer. Choose Reinstall continue. *
* Offer: Choose See apps to uninstall and note the programs to be uninstalled, so you can reinstall them after the operation is complete.
5. Depending on the speed of the computer, it may take some time to complete the RESET COMPUTER operation. Once complete, check that Windows is working properly and proceed with reinstalling applications.
That’s it! Which method worked for you?
Let me know if this guide helped you by leaving a comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.