In recent years, I have encountered the following problem many times in Windows 10: Suddenly and without any reason, email hyperlinks in Windows 10 Mail app or Outlook 2013, 2016, 2019 and Office 365 do not open in the web browser with several errors . . The problem usually occurs after Windows 10 upgrade and only if the user uses Firefox or Chrome as the default web browser and not with Microsoft Edge.
If you can’t open links from Outlook, Windows email, Thunderbird, or other programs in Windows 10, continue reading below to resolve the issue.
This guide includes instructions on how to fix the following errors when trying to open links from email or other apps on Windows 10.
- Could not open html links/files.hyperlinks on Windows 10.
- Your organization’s policy prevents us from taking this action for access. Contact your help desk for more information.
- This operation was canceled due to restrictions on this computer. Please contact your system administrator
FIX: Unable to open HTML links from email or other programs on Windows 10.
Method 1. FIX HTML file association in registry.
If you can’t open html links in Windows 10 Mail, Outlook, or other apps, go ahead and add the missing associations for HTML links in the Registry as shown below:
1. It’s open Command line as administrator. For this:
- Enter the following in the search field: cmd (or command line).
- right click on it command line (result) and select Run as administrator.
2. At the command line, issue the following commands in sequence ( Enter after each command):
- REG ADD HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.htm /ve /d htmlfile /f
- REG ADD HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.html /ve /d htmlfile /f
- REG ADD HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.shtml /ve /d htmlfile /f
- REG ADD HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.xht /ve /d htmlfile /f
- REG ADD HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.xhtml /ve /d htmlfile /f
3. Restart go to your computer and try opening the hyperlinks again.
Method 2. Set Microsoft Edge as your default WEB browser.
Since the “HTML links won’t open” problem only occurs when using Firefox or Chrome as your default browser, go ahead and set Microsoft Edge as your default browser. For this:
1. Close your email application. (eg Outlook, Windows Mail, Thunderbird).
2. go to Start menu press Settings and then press Applications.
3. Choose Standard applications and then Web browser click and select the current browser Microsoft Edge as the default web browser.
4. Open your email program and try to open the link.
That’s it! Let me know if this guide helped you by leaving a comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.