If you are facing “PNP DETECTED FATAL ERROR” blue screen issue in Windows 10, continue reading below to resolve the issue.
A PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR error in Windows 10 usually indicates a hardware problem with the Plug and Play device. connected to the car. In other cases, the error may be related to a problematic device driver that won’t load or causes the system to crash.
In this troubleshooting guide, you’ll find step-by-step instructions on how to fix PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR in Windows 10.
How to Fix: Fatal PNP Detected Error in Windows 10
Suggestions: Before moving on to the methods below, perform the following steps and check if the issues persist.
1. Disconnect all external devices that you don’t need (such as USB drives, SD cards, USB wireless mouse or keyboard receiver, USB wireless network card, printer, etc.).
2. If you encounter PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR after installing Windows updates, try restoring your system to a previous operating state* or rolling back Windows 10.
*Note: If you cannot boot WindowsStart your computer from Windows installation media and go Troubleshooting -> Advanced options -> Disable updates or for Troubleshoot -> Advanced options -> System Restore.
3. Install Windows 10 updates: The problem you are facing may be due to the lack of updates. So, go ahead and install all available updates on your computer:
Go to 1 Start -> Settings -> Update and security -> Windows update.
a. click on it Check for updates click the button on the right panel and wait for the scan to finish. If pending updates are detected, install them.
b. press View optional updates
c. Expansion Driver updates and then select and installation all available drivers.
Method 1. Disconnect or turn off hardware devices.
As we mentioned earlier, PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR in Windows 10 can be caused by hardware issues. If so, there are two ways to solve the problem.
A. Disconnect external devices.
First, try disconnecting any external devices you don’t need to run your computer (such as USB storage devices, printers, etc.) one by one and see if that fixes the problem.
If you identify the problematic device by doing so, update its driver as discussed in Method 2.
B. Turn off internal devices.
If “PNP DETECTED FATAL ERROR” persists after disconnecting peripherals, disable all non-disabled and unnecessary hardware devices one by one.
1. go to Device Manager. For this:
- press Windows + R buttons to load Running dialog box.
- Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter to open the device manager.
2. In Device Manager, right click on any non-critical device* and select Delete.
* For example, you can safely disable the following devices:
- Network adapters (Ethernet or/and Wi-Fi).
- Video and game controllers with sound.
- Imagine devices (scanners and cameras)
3. After turning off the device, check if PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR persists.* If not, proceed to turn off the next device, else go ahead and turn on the problematic device again and try method-2 below update its drivers as shown.
*Note: If the problem is resolved after turning off the network adapter(s), turn the adapter back on and proceed to change the Power Management settings as shown in Method 3.
Method 2. Fix fatal PNP detected error by updating device drivers.
If you still can’t find the problem device, go ahead and update the drivers on these devices:
- Video adapters *
- Network adapters
*Note: In particular, for the Video adapter, completely remove the video driver and any associated software and install the latest or earlier more stable version.
1. Right click on the device whose driver you want to update and click Driver update.
2. press Search for automatic drivers.
3. Allow Windows to search for and install the updated driver. If Windows cannot find an updated driver, go to the device manufacturer’s support site to see if an updated driver is available for the device. If so, download and install it.
Method 3. Change power management settings on network adapters.
1. Expand in Device Manager Network adapters.
2. Right click on each network adapter and select Characteristics.
3. go to Power management tab and turn off option Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. press OK applying changes.
Method 4. Disable Fast Startup to fix PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR.
Fast startup allows your computer to start up faster after shutting down. If you find that this status is enabled on your computer, we recommend that you disable it by following the steps below. This can sometimes cause problems within the OS.
1. Type in the search field control Panel and press Enter.
2. change the View By (above right) to Small icon and then press Power options.
3. Select in the left panel Choose what the power buttons do.
4. press Change settings that are not currently available.
5. Scroll down and remove the mark the Enable fast startup (recommended) select and click Save the changes. *
*Note: If “Enable fast startup (recommended)” option is missing from this window, you need to enable hibernation on your computer.
6. Restart open the computer and see if the problem persists.
Method 5. Fix fatal error detected by PNP by repairing system files.
1. Open command prompt as administrator. For this:
1. Enter the following in the search field: cmd or command line
2. right click on it command line (result) and select Run as administrator.
2. In the Command Prompt window, type the following command and press Enter:
- Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth
3. Please be patient while DISM fixes the component store. After the operation is complete (you should be notified that the corruption in the component store has been fixed), issue this command and press Enter:
4. Once the SFC scan is complete, restart your computer.
5. After restarting, check if the PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR issue is resolved.
Method 6. Determine what caused the PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR.
If, after following the methods above, you cannot find which device or software is causing the PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR blue screen of death (BSOD), try to determine the root cause of the problem by following the instructions in the following articles:
Method 7. Repair Windows 10 with an in-place update.
Another method that usually works to fix multiple issues is to repair/upgrade Windows 10. To do this, follow the detailed instructions in this article: How to repair Windows 10.
That’s it! Which method worked for you?
Let me know if this guide helped you by leaving a comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.