There are many Windows 10 users who have trouble logging in due to wrong password/pin and don’t know what to do. “Incorrect password” or “Incorrect PIN” messages may appear even when the password/pin is 100% correct.
Unable to connect to Windows 10 due to incorrect password or PIN is usually due to entering the wrong password/pin, but in some cases the problem occurs even after entering the correct password/pin can be and usually appears after installing a Windows update. .
If you are facing a similar problem, you are in the right place, because in this guide, we will show you several ways to fix the following problems in Windows 10:
- Windows 10 claims that the password/pin is incorrect, but it is not.
- Windows 10 wrong password despite being correct.
- Windows 10 login password is suddenly wrong.
- I could not log into Windows 10 with the correct password/pin.
- Windows 10 password not working after update.
- Windows 10 password is incorrect even though it is correct.
How to fix: Incorrect password or PIN after installing updates on Windows 10.
- Restart your computer.
- Enter the password/PIN using the virtual keyboard.
- Remove recent updates from recovery options.
- Change your MS account password from another device.
- Log in to Windows 10 with an administrator account.
- Reset the PC or clean Windows 10.
Method 1. Restart your computer.
Most often, this error is temporary and occurs because Windows has not finished installing updates and has not successfully configured the device. In this case, the problem can be solved only by restarting the computer. If restarting your computer doesn’t fix the problem, go to the next method below.*
* Note – Offer: The reported problem usually occurs when using a Microsoft account to sign in to Windows 10, not with local accounts. So, after solving the problem, I recommend switching from Microsoft account to local account.
Method 2. Resolve the “Incorrect PIN” issue by entering your account password on the virtual keyboard.
If you enter the correct PIN to sign in to Windows and receive the message “The PIN is incorrect. Please try again”, follow these steps: *
*Note: If you receive the message “The password is incorrect”, go to step 4.
1. press Access options.
2. click on Key sign.
3. Enter your password and click Enter. If you still can’t log in, click OK In “Password Incorrect Message” and follow these steps:
4. click on Easy access sign (located in the lower right corner) and open it On-screen keyboard.
5. Click in the password field and then enter your password on the virtual keyboard. When you’re done, click the “eye” icon to check if it’s correct, and if so, click Enter.
Method 3. Uninstall the latest Windows update using recovery options.
Since the “wrong password” problem in Windows 10 usually occurs after installing updates, proceed to remove them from the Windows recovery options (this method usually works).
1. On the login screen hold down the SHIFT button and click Power -> Restart
2. After restarting, press Troubleshooting -> Advanced options -> Disable updates.
3. press Remove the latest quality update and try to log into Windows when it’s done. If you can’t, follow the same steps, but this time select Remove the latest feature update.
4. After uninstalling the update(s), try to sign in to Windows 10 using your PIN/password.
Method 4. Change your MS account password from another device. *
* Attention: This method only works for users who use a Microsoft account to sign in to their Windows 10 device. If you are using a local account, skip to method-5 below.
1. From another computer or device (for example, your phone or tablet), sign in to your Microsoft account.
2. click on Security label and then enter your password to confirm your identity.
3. under Password security press Change my password.
4. After changing the password, restart go to the computer with the password problem and log in to Windows 10 using the new password.
Method 5. Log in to Windows 10 using a hidden administrator account.
Demand: Windows 10 installation media via USB.*
*Note: This method requires you to boot your computer from a USB Windows installation media. If you do not have a USB Windows installation media, you can create a file from another working computer using the instructions in this article: How to create a bootable Windows 10 USB installation media.
Step 1. Enable the hidden administrator account.
1. Download your computer from the Windows installation media.
2. On the Windows Setup screen, click SHIFT + F10 to open the command prompt
3. Type in the command window regedit & press Enter.
4a. press on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE press the button to select it and…
4b. .. from File press the menu button Download Hive.
5. Now go to the disk with Windows and go to this path:
6. select SAM file and click It’s open.
7. Type OFFLINE As the key name and click OK.
8. Now go to the following path:
9. In the right pane, double click to open F The REG_BINARY value.
10. using down arrow press the button on your keyboard, move the cursor to the line 0038.
11. press the Delete the key one time destroy 11 and then type 10. Click when done OK.
12a. Finally, mark OFFLINE key and…
12bselect … Download Hive from File menu.
12c. press Yes to confirm your decision.
13. Close the registry editor and all open windows and restart your computer usually.
Step 2. Log in to Windows with an administrator account.
1. On the login screen, tap Administrator Windows login account
2. Allow Windows to set up your device for the first time and access the desktop.
3. press Windows + I Press the keys on the keyboard at the same time to start Windows Settings.
4. In the settings window, click on Accounts from the list of options displayed on your screen.
5. Choose Access options from the left panel and after (in the right panel), turn off toggle button for Use my login information to automatically complete my device setup after an update or restart.
6. Restart go to your computer and try to log in to your regular account. If you are unable to continue with step 3 below.
Step 3. Reset your account password.
1. log into the computer with Administrator account.
2. Depending on your account type, continue to reset the password for an account that you can’t sign in to because of an incorrect password:
A. Microsoft account:
If you receive an “Incorrect password/PIN” message when trying to sign in to Windows 10 with a Microsoft account, go to the Microsoft Password Reset page and follow the on-screen instructions to reset your Microsoft account password. Then log into Windows using the new password. *
*Note: If you still can’t access your Windows device with a new password after resetting your password, follow the instructions below to create a new user account (with administrator privileges). Then transfer all files and settings from the Microsoft account profile to the new user.
B. Local account:
If you encounter the “password is incorrect” issue when trying to sign in to Windows 10 with a local account, go ahead and reset your account password as follows:
1. Press the button at the same time Win + R buttons to open the run command window.
2. Enter the following command and click Enter.
3. Select your account and click on it Password recovery.* Enter a new password for the account and click OK.
*Note: If you want to create a new account, click Add button, select Sign in without a Microsoft account (not recommended) and follow the on-screen instructions to create a new one local account. Click when done Characteristics (on the screen below) and inside Group membership select the tab Administrator.
4. Restart log in to your computer and sign in to a new user account.
Method 6. Perform a clean installation of Windows 10.
Most of the time, it is better and less time consuming to SET UP your PC or do a clean install of Windows 10 than to fix Windows 10 problems.
That’s it! Which method worked for you?
Let me know if this guide helped you by leaving a comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.