In this guide, you will learn 5 ways to recover deleted photos from Mac. I hope one of these methods works for you.
The Photos app is one of the apps that takes up the most space on your Mac. If you’re running out of storage space, deleting similar, blurry, and old photos might be a good solution. But sometimes, you might accidentally delete important photos. How can you recover deleted photos in such case?
Do not panic. In this guide, we will show you how to recover deleted photos from Mac in 5 ways. Read on to find out what they are.
Method 1: How to Recover Deleted Photos on Mac Using Photos
If you delete photos using the Photos app, they may still be on your drive, and you can restore them using the Recently Deleted album. You can only return deleted photos within 30 days.
- Open the Photos app.
- Click on the recently deleted album and enter your admin password to view the deleted photos.
- Select the photos you want to recover and click the “Recover” button.
Deleted photos from Smart Albums cannot be recovered.
Method 2: How to Recover Deleted Photos on Mac Using Recycle Bin
If you use the Finder instead of the Photos app to delete photos, you can recover them using the Trash, but only if you don’t empty them from the Trash.
To optimize your Mac storage, the system automatically deletes files that have been added to the Trash for more than 30 days. This means that you can only get back deleted photos within 30 days.
- Click the Trash icon in the Dock.
- Find the photos you want to restore, Control-click them, and select Restore.
Method 3: How to Recover Deleted Photos on Mac Using iCloud
Deleting photos from iCloud will also delete them from your device that has iCloud Photos turned on. If you change your mind, you have another 30 days to restore them before they are permanently deleted from your iCloud.
- Go to iCloud.com and sign in to your account.
- Tap Photos and you’ll find all the photos stored in iCloud.
- Click “Recently Deleted” in the sidebar, find the photo you want to restore, and click “Recover”.
Method 4: How to Recover Deleted Photos on Mac Using Time Machine Backups
This is essential for backing up your Mac. If you’ve backed up your Mac with Time Machine in the past few days, you have the option to recover deleted photos from the backups.
- Insert the disc containing the Time Machine backups into your Mac.
- Click the Time Machine icon in the menu bar and select Time Machine Browser Backups. Alternatively, you can click Apple menu > System Preferences > General and select Time Machine from the right pane.
- Select the backup date, locate the photo library where the original photos are stored, and click restore. (It’s best to save the restored photo library in a folder other than Photos.)
Method 5: How to recover deleted photos on Mac with recovery software
If none of the above methods work, try using a third-party data recovery tool. There are many recovery programs on the Internet that can easily recover deleted files.
But we’ve found that they’re better for recovering data from external drives like USB flash drives and SD cards, if you don’t do anything after accidentally deleting photos. Also, files deleted on SSD drives are usually not recoverable.
Still want to try it? Choose your favorite tool, install and launch it, then follow the on-screen instructions to try to recover deleted photos from your Mac. This process can take a long time, so make sure your Mac is connected to a power cord.
Bonus tip: How to safely and quickly clean up your Mac
In addition to photos, installed app caches and downloaded files can also take up a lot of disk space on your Mac. Cleaning them by hand is not as safe and quick. However, if you have BuhoCleaner at hand, everything will be easier.
BuhoCleaner is an easy-to-use cleaning tool designed for Mac users that lets you delete junk files with just one click. All scan results are checked multiple times to avoid accidental deletion of files as much as possible.
Here’s how to clean your Mac with BuhoCleaner:
- Download, install and launch BuhoCleaner.
- Click “Scan” and it will automatically scan your Mac for junk files.
- After the scan is complete, select and delete the unwanted files.
- To further clean up your Mac, go to other features such as Application Uninstaller, Large Files, Duplicates, Disk Space Analyzer, etc.
We hope you have successfully recovered deleted photos from Mac. It is recommended that you regularly back up your Mac with Time Machine to avoid accidentally deleting files again.
By the way, BuhoCleaner is an easy-to-use Mac cleaner that helps you clean and speed up your Mac with just a few clicks. If you haven’t tried it yet, try it now.